Aalborg Airport is 100 km (62 mi) southwest of Skagen.
The first building in the area, dating from the 12th century, was in Højen on the west side of the peninsula.
Many of the town's typical yellow-plastered houses with red roofs which grew up along Sankt Laurentii Vej from 1890 to 1930 were designed by Ulrik Plesner.
He was also the architect behind many other buildings in the town, including the railway station, Brøndums Hotel and Skagen Museum. and later additions were made for cold storage and the fish processing industry.
Originally the name was applied to the peninsula but it now usually refers to the town itself.